Search Engine Optimization: Information and Methods
by Terje Sannarnes | on December 27, 2012
Search engine optimization or SEO in short refers to the process by which an advertiser improves the volume of traffic flowing to his website from the search engines. This is done either by naturally or unpaid search options. SEO targets various kinds of search methods including but not limited to image searches, video searches, local searches and also industry specific vertical search engines. There are two main advantages of search engine optimization process. At first, popular search engines like Google, Yahoo and others remain to be the most powerful source of traffic to a website. Secondly, search engine optimization provides websites with targeted traffic that is easily converted into potential customers.
Why Search Engine Optimization is So Important?
Search engine optimization as an internet marketing strategy takes into consideration search engine operation and consumer preferences. By optimizing a website, it is meant editing content, HTML and associated coding to increase the relevance of specific keywords. Search engine optimization is the hottest topic online and advertisers are concerned with getting their websites on the first or second page of all the search engines. Because of its popularity, increasing a site’s Google ranking has suddenly assumed immense importance.
The Main Stages of Search Engine Optimization
In general, the process of search engine optimization includes 3 main stages – research and selection of keywords; onsite optimization of a website and link building. The first stage implies selecting the right keywords and key phrases. Performing keyword research an online entrepreneur should take into consideration such factors as efficiency and competition of phrases. Just keep in mind that it may take a lot of time before you start getting targeted traffic for keywords of high competition. So, it makes sense for online entrepreneur to begin with low competition keywords. Entrepreneurs are also recommended to use special tools to perform keyword research. When you create the list of keywords the next your step is to perform onsite optimization of a website.
Let’s take a closer look at some of the search engine optimization methods as detailed below:
- Getting indexed: Leading search engines like Google and Yahoo use what are called ‘crawlers’ to find pages for their search results. Pages which are already linked from other search engine indexed pages do not require submission, they will be identified automatically. Search engine crawlers take various factors into consideration when checking a site and not every page is indexed by the search engines. How far the page is from the root directory could be a reason why the page does not get crawled. There are sites like Yahoo for example, which operate a paid submission service. This service will guarantee you inclusion in the database but cannot guarantee you specific ranking within search results.
- Increasing the standing of your website is done by utilizing a variety of search engine optimization methods which include:
- Cross linking of pages from the same website; in other words, giving your main page on the website a lot more links to increase the page rank that search engines use.
- Adding content to websites that include frequently used keywords and key phrases, which make them relevant to numerous search engine queries. Of course, it may be difficult for an online entrepreneur to combine such things as search engine optimization and usability of a website. Sometimes it is difficult to add content to an online website due the features of its structure. So, a blog filled with keywords will become a good addition to your site.
- The addition of relevant keywords to the webpage meta tags, which includes keyword stuffing.
- Linking your website to other websites; this includes link farming and comment spam. You need to be aware that link spamming can have a negative impact on your search results’ ranking.
- Search engine optimization techniques can be divided into 2 very broad categories. You have the techniques that search engines recommend as a part of good design and techniques that search engines do not approve of. These methods have been classified rather interestingly as white hat search engine optimization and black hat search engine optimization. Search engine techniques that conform to the search engine guidelines and does not involve any deception falls in the white hat category. Black hat SEO on the other hand uses deception to improve rankings and this is not approved by the search engines. It uses hidden text to improve rankings; the text may be colored the same as the background or positioned off screen. It also uses cloaking and i-frames (pages created to download software to your computer without your knowledge).
Special attention of an online entrepreneur should be paid to link building. It should be noted that Link development is an essential part of search engine optimization. So the task of an online entrepreneur is to obtain quality incoming links from topic related resources. Above all, SEO is an excellent tool for bringing your website and your business to prominence. Search engine optimization and targeted traffic is extremely important for any website.
PS! If you need Affordable Link Building SEO Service you can check out the video below and go to http://www.rankno1.com , if you want your page to become an authority in Google Search!
If you enjoyed reading this post, make sure to Subscribe to receive my blog post updates, leave a comment below and share this with your friends and followers.
To your success!