Are You a Venus Flytrap? (And why it matters)
by Rasheed | on February 23, 2012
Imagine, a stationary Venus flytrap, waiting for its meal…
It waits. It waits one day. It waits ten days. It waits one month.
A fly passes into its opening, and it’s almost lunchtime. However, the fly only triggers one of the hairs in the trap’s opening. So the Venus flytrap doesn’t get its meal.
It waits longer. Six weeks. Three months. A beetle passes into its opening. It triggers two hairs within twenty seconds and the Venus flytrap slams its opening shut, and begins digesting the beetle. Ten days later, it is ready for its next meal.
However, ten days later, it’s winter, and the bugs are no longer coming around. Not being able to consume anything, the Venus flytrap withers into nothingness.
“What’s a Venus flytrap got to do with anything?”
Although a Venus flytrap doesn’t even need to consume bugs to stay alive, the moral of the story is quite evident–you can’t wait for opportunities to come to you. If you wait, you will simply be left in the dust. The common saying is “Good things come to those who wait,” but the second part of that saying is often left out–”but only the leftovers of those who hustle.”
A Venus flytrap obviously can’t hustle because it’s kinda rooted to the ground. So if you find yourself always “getting ready to get ready,” ask yourself this: You aren’t rooted to the ground. Why aren’t you hustling?
Sad as it may seem, many people are becoming Venus flytraps nowadays. They may want more from life, but they never get up and do anything. I’ve heard many unemployed people say, “Oh, a job will find me, and that one will be the one!”
Unfortunately, that’s not how it works. One of the benefits of attending networking events as I mentioned yesterday is connecting with people who have careers. I’ll cover this mindset in a future post, because this is a more what not to do post.
Are you a Venus flytrap? Don’t wait for opportunities to come to you; actively seek them out!
I’ve actually met crippled people who had every right to be “rooted” to their home, out and about and making things happen.
So don’t be a Venus flytrap! We aren’t sedentary! Make a commitment now not to be sedentary and to take action.
Action steps: How to escape from the Venus flytrap mentality
1) Determine first if you are in the Venus flytrap mentality. You can tell that you’re in the Venus flytrap mentality if you find yourself “waiting” for a lucky break.
2) Figure out what you’re “waiting” for. Make a list. Is it a home business opportunity? Is it a better job? Is it a spouse? Make a general list of the things you are “waiting” for to happen in your life.
3) Pick three things from the list above and go into deep detail about it. I’m talking at least a page of detail of each thing. If you’re looking for a home business opportunity, what product would you like to market? Would you like to market online or offline? If you are looking for a spouse, what colour hair do they have? Do they have a nice tan? Don’t be afraid to delve into deep detail, and be as selfish as you want.
4) Ask yourself now, what sort of person can achieve that “thing” you’re waiting for? What sort of person markets the thing you want? What sort of person will attract your dream spouse? Write down everything about this person, from who they surround themselves with, to what their breakfast is, to what they do for fun.
5) Read the next post to figure out how you will implement these action steps and start taking… well, action!
Did this post help you at all? If you felt uncomfortable reading this post, that’s okay–discomfort is what facilitates growth! But if this post helped or inspired you in any way, “like” and “share” and don’t forget to leave a comment!
Peace, love, prosperity,
PS: If your company does not have a step-by-step duplicable system for YOUR success, check this out (unless you are just making way too much money)
For Instant Access to our Step-By-Step System: www.MonthlyMoneySystem.net
If you enjoyed this post about the Venus flytrap mentality, comment and share it with others!